Monday, February 15, 2010

Eugene: Green Store


The Green Store. 5th and Olive. Eugene, OR.


Today was an incredibly sunny day for the middle of February in Oregon so I decided a bike ride through Eugene would do the trick. Upon coming back from a little act
ion on the river I rode past this store that caught my eye.

Being in the brand new Green Brand Strategies course, which focuses on brands that claim themselves as being green, I decided I had to go inside and see what all of this was about.


Upon perusing the aisles for a couple of minutes
I noticed an overwhelming amount of greenwashing. Many different products were just normal products that do nothing "green" except for the fact that the title of their product was "ECO___" or had something about being "Green" on the packaging. My favorite is when a product claims they are green by littering the packaging with earth tones and green leaves as if it was plucked from a tree right before hitting the shelves.

Here are a few of the products I found in the aisles, I took these pictures with a camera phone so the quality isn't too high...








What I did like about this store was that it installs solar panels on houses. Although solar
panels have been around for a long time we will start seeing more and more houses powering themselves via solar panels. It is a great way to save energy and cut costs. The Green Store also installs windmills but they said that they rarely sell windmills due to the lack of wind in Oregon (I was wondering the same about solar panels and the lack of sunshine in Oregon).

They have a website HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment